Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS)
Wrinkles, fine lines, asymmetrical features, sagging skin, and other facial imperfections can cause many people to feel unhappy with their appearance. Individuals diagnosed with gender dysphoria may experience a unique kind of dissatisfaction, making them feel as though their internal gender identity does not match their biological sex and facial characteristics.
Facial feminization surgery (FFS) involves a series of aesthetic and reconstructive surgical procedures that reshape masculine facial features by manipulating the bone and soft tissues of the face to create a feminine appearance. Dr. Hadeed offers several surgical procedures designed to help trans women look and feel beautiful.
During your consultation, Dr. Hadeed will discuss the various surgical procedures that can be used for facial feminization surgery and formulate the ideal surgical treatment plan based on your anatomy and specific aesthetic goals.Schedule A Consultation
Facial Feminization Procedure Options
Facial feminization surgery is performed on an outpatient basis using general anesthesia. There are many surgical options to reshape your facial structure for a more feminine appearance. Dr. Hadeed applies artistic precision when it comes to contouring your face and will work with you to determine which facial procedures can achieve your aesthetic goals.
- Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, can remove the underlying fat and excess skin that have developed in the upper and/or lower eyelids to create more youthful and feminine eyes for trans women.
- Brow lift surgery can feminize the appearance of the upper face by repositioning the eyebrows.
- Ear pinning can correct overly large and protruding ears by removing excess cartilage and reshaping the ears to make them look smaller and more feminine.
- Forehead reduction and hairline advancement can feminize the upper face significantly by reshaping the forehead and moving the hairline forward.
- Rhinoplasty, or nose surgery, can alter the shape or size of the nose to correct nasal imperfections and achieve better facial harmony for trans women who desire a smaller and more refined nose.
- Cheek augmentation can be performed with fat grafting or cheek implants to provide trans women with fuller cheeks and a rounder face shape.
- Facelift surgery can bring out a younger and more feminine facial appearance by addressing loose skin and sagging tissue that has resulted from aging. It can also address skin laxity that may have resulted from another FFS procedure that removed or reshaped the facial bones.
- Chin contouring can transform a trans woman’s long, flat, and square chin shape for a more rounded, short, and feminized appearance. Chin implants can also be used during your procedure to achieve more chin projection.
- Lip augmentation can be accomplished through the use of either injectable fillers or fat transfer to provide trans women with more full, soft, and sensual lips.
- Upper lip shortening can also feminize the appearance of the upper lip.
- Jaw reduction surgery can shave down a trans woman’s prominent, square, and masculine-looking jawline to provide her with a more round, narrow, and feminized look.
- Tracheal shave, or Adam’s apple reduction, is a surgical procedure performed to reduce the Adam’s apple and create a more slender and feminine neck. An incision is placed in the upper neck crease, and a small portion of the thyroid cartilage is shaved down so that the Adam’s apple appears smaller and less visible.
- Neck lift surgery can address excess skin that has developed from aging or other FFS procedures to provide trans women with a youthful and slender neck.
Concerns About Facial Feminization
The length of your recovery depends on the number of facial procedures you undergo and whether or not they are combined into one surgery. Swelling and bruising may develop, but these side effects should resolve after a few weeks. Patients may be advised to wear a special compression garment to protect their face, maintain their new facial contours, and minimize swelling and bruising. Most patients can resume their normal activities two to three weeks following surgery.
Possible risks associated with facial feminization surgery may include bleeding, infection, poor incision healing, hematoma, prolonged swelling, and hair loss.
Trans women who undergo facial feminization surgery can expect long-lasting to permanent results that will not only boost their appearance and self-confidence but will also help them express their true gender identity.
Frequently Asked Questions About Facial Feminization
Patients who are active smokers will not be able to undergo facial feminization surgery, as it may increase the risk of infection and affect wound healing. Dr. Hadeed requires all patients to be entirely nicotine-free for at least four weeks before any surgery can take place.
A letter of recommendation from your therapist is not required for facial feminization surgery.
Depending on your aesthetic goals and the number of procedures desired, facial feminization surgery can take several hours or even longer. In some cases, your procedures may need to be performed during multiple operations.
Most insurance companies will not cover your facial feminization surgery. However, all insurance policies are different, and there may be certain exceptions for gender affirmation procedures. Dr. Hadeed can help you seek medical financing that may help pay for your procedure.
Beverly Hills, California
465 N Roxbury Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
1330 Coral Way
Miami, FL 33145